New York State Fishing: 2019

What a summer it has been so far.  The only issue with summer is how fast it always seems to go... You always have time until there is not time.

The last month literally flew by (as it always does when you're not working) and as I am sitting with my AC on this evening in sunny Colorado I am reflecting on my annual trip back to New York.

Returning to old haunts can be enlightening, but there's also a simplicity about the pace of things in Steuben County, New York.  No rapid changes ever occur.  The same people work at the same places and I know I have reflected on this point before, but every year I am reminded of how different a big city like Denver is compared to where I grew up.  I know why I moved and I don't regret it, but I also enjoy visiting good ol' upstate New York every summer for that exact reason; simplicity.

We had our largest crew to date for our annual camping trip and we arguably had a little bit too much fun, but one credo I live by is to do everything in moderation, including moderation.  I got to fish with my buddy Jared the first day and because of high water we hiked up toward the head waters of the Genesee River.  It was a place we had been once before and once again we found some fish, although we were surprised to find some other fisherman as well.  I suppose they were looking for clearer water as well...


I caught this native brown and his spots were priceless.


We were at the New York/Pennsylvania border and this old boundary was pretty rustic looking indeed.



I nymphed out this pretty rainbow before we got into some brown trout down below.  They were happy and healthy, which is always a good thing!


We decided to fish that first evening as well.  I had joked with the non-fly fisherman of the group about "the hatch" before the trip and although they may never quite understand the magic that can occur when different species of mayflies and caddisflies start coming off all at once, I will continue to tell them what "the hatch" can bring... :)

I caught some very hard fighting two-year old fish that evening, but with the higher, colder water I wasn't surprised.


This fat fella was my favorite and he was deceived by an Iris Caddis.



Everyone caught fish during what I considered to be a very profitable night hatch on the Genny.





The next day I fished with my pal Darren and after nymphing out a few I decided to find some riffles in search of caddis and hopefully a rising fish or two.  I caught two decent fish on a caddisfly imitation and then Darren came down to scope out the joint.  He had nymphs on and we saw a nice rise on the far side so he grabbed my 4 weight that had a delectable looking Iris Caddis attached to it and headed over to cast.  I told him that even if the fly sunk to let it go because one of the two I had gotten ate the fly after it sunk.

I assumed it was a decent fish based on his positioning on the far bank and below a big tree, but little did we know that it was a Genny Gem with a powerful paddle for a tail!


What a beautiful fish!                                     What a beautiful mayfly!

That was the last cast I saw because the rains came on Sunday so we said our annual goodbyes and headed our separate ways.


A few short days later I headed down to the mighty Delaware river in search of hard fighting browns and leaping rainbows.  This year I am happy to report that I found both!  I typically have a routine when I fish the Delaware, but this year we mixed it up a bit.  I met my trusty guide/friend/fellow fly tier/master caster Nixie and we floated the main stem during the first of my four days there.  The conditions were perfect because it was warm and cloudy, but not windy or rainy.

P.S. That never happens, but never say never!

The first day was a great success (#borat) as we netted some very strong brown trout and saw quite an array of bugs hatching including a crazy flurry of giant golden stone flies.  The trout were not eating them on the surface, but it was still pretty amazing to witness!




















Nixie caught this beauty on a March brown emerger and I caught this beast on, well you already know...an Iris Caddis.  That evening we did see some Green Drake spinners, which are called Coffin flies, but unfortunately they hatched after it was already impossible (pretty much) to see.  I heard a story a few days later in a local fly shop near Hancock about some guys who put their boat in at 2am to fish Coffin flies and took out at 5am.  Now that's commitment!  It also sounds amazing.

The next day we floated again with my buddy Scott.  It was his first time floating and it was pretty special considering he's been my fishing buddy for years, yet we've never floated the river together.

It is such a beautiful river and for a lot of reasons it will always hold a special place in my heart.


We got into some fish and had a lot of laughs on the boat as well.  It's a shame I only get to go back once a year, but I'm fortunate enough to do that.


This fish was cruising up and down the foam line and after a perfect cast (they are required on the Delaware) he ate and put up a great fight.  The fish are all wild so if they haven't been picked on by too many other anglers, they become formidable adversaries.

The next day I waded and mostly nymph fished with Scott until the evening.  It was tough sledding for two reasons.

1. Everyone and their mother was out fishing because it was a Saturday.
2. A majority of the river was wadeable for the first time since July of 2018.

Yeah, it rains a lot there.

I had to work, but I nymphed out this relatively spotless rainbow that must have jumped clear out of the water 4 or 5 times.  They do that there.


That evening Scott took me to a spot he likes and like clockwork the fish started rising as soon as we showed up.  The big guy upstairs must have been looking out for us!

I saw a few smaller fish rising that I left alone and then I saw a brown trout that caught my attention.  He was rising on a seam just off of the main current, but for the most part his rises were not to big bugs so I figured he was eating emergers.  I must have tried 15 flies and cast to this fish for over an hour before he eventually ate a... caddis!

He fought like a brown.  He tried to bully me like a brown.  He was not happy about his predicament and even came all of the way out of the water when he was a good 50 yards downstream, but with Scott's help I was able to land him.  The battle was epic and this fish made my trip, although I honestly would have been happy just being there.  The fish are sometimes just a bonus.

He was a bruiser and a fish I will not soon forget.



Every year back home is special and this year was no different.  Seeing all of the maple trees in full bloom, visiting my parents, old haunts, lifelong friends, special rivers, and familiar landscapes are several of a thousand reasons New York is special.  

Not to mention the buffalo wings!


All joking aside, your original home will always be your home even if you rarely return.  Home is where the heart is, but it's also where our roots are.  As trees mature and bloom, human beings end up far from home, but remember where you grew up and the beauties/hard truths that make you, you.  

Never forget where you came from even if it's not where you come from.

Until next time (my post about fly fishing in Spain!) tight lines my friends.  

Comments

My photo
Michael Agostinho
I love nature and I vehemently enjoy fly fishing and fly tying. Check out my YouTube channel via the link at the top of the website and check out all of the links below. Tight lines!

Popular posts from this blog

Technical Dry Fly Fishing

Spring Break Trip: Part 2

Spring Break Trip: Part 1