Summer Fly Fishing in New York: COVID 2020

This summer has been a wild ride.  I drove across the country, twice, fished the Genesee River, Keuka Lake, and the main stem and west branches of the Delaware River during my time in New York State.  

Fishing the Genesee back in New York is part of our annual camping trip.  I believe this year was our 10th trip in succession, which is pretty cool.  The water was a bit high, but that didn't stop us.  My best buddy Jared and I hiked a section with solid results on streamers and nymphs.  There was not much dry fly action to be had so we had to adjust our tactics in order to get subsurface eats.  The water was super high throughout the spring so these fish were hot to trot and put up some solid battles.  


A fat and healthy fish from the Genny.


A strange thing happened with this 18" rainbow.  Jared caught it in a riffle and not 5 minutes later after he had walked upstream I caught him again.  He was hungry (and perhaps a little stupid...) :)


 
Jared nabbed this beauty on a streamer. 

It's an underrated river for sure and does hold some holdovers from year to year.  There are some really pretty spots if you hike up or down from the bridges and access points.  The scenery is beautiful and I'm lucky to get to fish it with the guys every summer.  

After my jaunt on the Genny it was time to visit the Delaware River System once again.  I plan and tie flies for the Delaware every year in anticipation of big browns and rainbows taking me into my backing (and to school as well).

This year was solid and although difficult (it is NEVER easy), myself and my buddies were able to nab some nice fish on dry flies including caddis, sulphurs, and some flies that must not be named.


Jared caught this beauty in SLOW water.  This fish fought like his life depended on it, but we were able to land it and get this great photo.


This fish battled and battled, but I was able to land him on my 3rd cast of the trip.  
Awesome fish!


This guy took me way downstream into my backing several times before I was able to land him.  The blue from his cheek halfway down his body was exquisite.  


My buddy Scott caught this fish on one my my flies and needless to say it was one of the prettiest browns I had seen in quite awhile.  Nice fish man!


If that isn't perfection in nature I don't know what is...

I also did some nymphing on the Delaware and was able to catch quite a few, but the best fish bested me in several different spots.  They are tough to land in the fast water and light tippet.


I always try to take in the scenery as well.  Jared's wife Sarah planted some stunning flowers that were in full June bloom.


My great friend (and guide) Nixie got Jared in position to hook and land some nice fish.  Thank you once again my friend for another stellar year on the D.


We determined that these were Cornuta spinners (maybe) that had not mated yet.


These fawns on the main stem could not have been more than 2-3 days old.  So cool to see them getting an evening drink.


In the center of this photo was a father and son throwing streamers in the fog just below Balls Eddy.  The black and white version looked pretty cool I thought.


Remains of the past above the 191 Bridge.


Jared also decided that we should wake up at 4am on opening day to go bass fishing.  It was amazing to be the first boat on the water (Keuka Lake) and catch some slammers.


J with a beauty.


These smallies were so full of crayfish they were puking them up after eating our imitations...


Another thick Delaware brown that took one of my emerger patterns.


It only rained for an hour and we got a rainbow to fish beneath after the weather subsided.


Buckingham right before dark.


Thanks for reading.  Check out my YouTube channel (fly tying videos and a few places I have fished) via the link at the top of my website and feel free to follow me on Instagram @mayflymusings.



Happy fishing my friends.  Stay safe out there, and tight lines!



Comments

My photo
Michael Agostinho
I love nature and I vehemently enjoy fly fishing and fly tying. Check out my YouTube channel via the link at the top of the website and check out all of the links below. Tight lines!

Popular posts from this blog

Technical Dry Fly Fishing

Spring Break Trip: Part 2

Spring Break Trip: Part 1