Don't Forget the Fraser

Grand County is just that and the river flowing through it isn't too shabby either.  "Don't Forget the Fraser."  I read an article entitled exactly that when I moved to Colorado and I didn't listen.  If you have fished the Fraser then you know what this post is going to entail.  If you haven't, give it a shot.  It's a wonderful freestone and it holds some killer, hard fighting fish.

I fished the Fraser in May two years ago and did really well.  I'm not sure why I didn't go back...  The Fraser rises and falls with the summer rains and fishing it off color is wise.  If it's low and clear (like it is right now) different tactics are necessary, but like many freestones in Colorado, the bugs at times match each river.

Caddis.  Don't forget about Caddis on and beneath the surface during the summertime.  I underestimate Caddisflies.  I need to stop doing that.

I was lucky to fish with two kiddos from school and we had an absolute blast.  It's great to see the next generation of fly fisherman share the same love and passion for the sport as I do.  Also, there's something about putting your phone in "Airplane Mode" for a day that makes it all that much better.

So, the fishing.  We hiked a beautiful stretch of water and fished dries, streamers, and nymphs.  There is an incredible stonefly population in the Fraser that also should not be overlooked no matter the water level.  It took me a little while to figure it out, but once I did it was on!  I was able to land some very nice browns, one little brookie, and one tank of a rainbow that was actually sipping down yellow sally dry flies.  He measured in just shy of 20 inches.  The boys and I talked about naming this fish and I will if he's in the same spot during my next Fraser River encounter.  I sure hope he is!



Not long after the guys also got into some fish.  After John had been snapped off by a hog he was able to land this beautiful brown.


That's the look of a stone-faced trout slayer.

Soon after Jack got into a beauty after he also had been snapped off by a lunker.  I'm telling you, these fight fought hard!  I was especially proud of Jack because it was his best trout to date on a fly rod.  He did everything right after hooking this gorgeous fish and I was very happy to be able to snap this great photo.


That look says it all.  Great job pal!

We fished into the early afternoon before the water temps began to rise.  I kept checking to make sure we weren't fishing after the water temp was about 65.  It's amazing how quickly some rivers can warm up over the span of several hours.

I was happy to have caught some beauties, but I was happier that the boys were able to get into some nice fish.  If these guys keep it up they're going to be out fishing me sooner than later!

I'll leave you with this brown that slammed a nymph that John tied in fast water...


If you live in or plan on visiting Colorado, remember one thing: "Don't Forget the Fraser."

Until next time, tight lines my friends!

Comments

My photo
Michael Agostinho
I love nature and I vehemently enjoy fly fishing and fly tying. Check out my YouTube channel via the link at the top of the website and check out all of the links below. Tight lines!

Popular posts from this blog

Technical Dry Fly Fishing

Spring Break Trip: Part 2

Spring Break Trip: Part 1