Old Haunts

I try and visit New York State every June for several reasons:

1) To see my family
2) To visit old friends and reminisce about the glory days
3) To go on our annual camping trip to the Genesee River
4) To go to the Delaware River

The Delaware River system is the best fishery east of the Mississippi.  For years I have had moments of agony and ecstasy on the Delaware.

This year I was lucky enough to fish with some old friends and a new one.  Tim Flagler (creator of Tightline Productions) came up to fish with us and we had an absolute blast.  For years he has made the finest fly tying videos known to man (link is at the bottom of my blog) and it was awesome to chat with him and fish with him as well.

My other buddies (Jared and Darren Clark) have "owned" the Delaware for years and this trip was no different.  They flat out catch fish and they hammered 'em again this year.  I still have so much to learn and I love that.

The Delaware is a river where no two days are ever the same and if you think you have it all figured out you're in for a long day (unless you're Jared or Darren).  There are so many factors that need to be considered before and during an outing on the Delaware and even meticulous planning is sometimes not heeded by mother nature (and of course, the rainbows and browns).

"The Delaware giveth and the Delaware taketh away." - Mike Agostinho

We wadered up before the bugs showed up on the surface and everyone hooked and/or caught fish on nymphs.  There are many Delaware purists who have never thrown a nymph, streamer, or wet fly, which is absolutely fine.  When there aren't fish rising and you want to catch fish though, nymphing is a great choice.  Unfortunately for me, my big hookup on a nymph lasted about three seconds before I got snapped off . The Delaware giveth and the Delaware taketh away.

It was a cloudy day and the bugs showed up right on schedule (which never happens) and we had risers until we couldn't see our flies on the water after dark.  Before dark, I waded way out and got up on a big rock in order to cast and catch this beautiful brown on a bwo.  He put up a formidable battle, but I was ecstatic to net him.  He certainly put a bend in the old rod.


There were plenty of other fish caught, landed (and missed) by our crew over the weekend.  The Delaware can be a mystery sometimes because at certain points in a day there are 10 (or more) different types of bugs hatching.  It can also be maddening at times, but it makes each fish caught even more rewarding.  The other great thing is that they are all wild fish, so they fight, HARD.  Any fish over 14 inches can give you a right good scrap, and especially the fish that are 18+.  I had a fish take me into my backing in about 5 seconds during this trip and unfortunately I never saw it.  That's the Delaware.

I was lucky enough to float the river for a few days after Tim and the Clark's headed back to work.  My great friend (and guide) Nixie and I try and float every year, which is a treat.  To be able to see miles of river in a day is special and there's a lot more to see than just rising fish.  We saw some bald eagles, including a massive nest just above Ball's Eddy, Merganser families with the ducklings riding on their mothers' backs, two beavers slides (and some very upset beavers), coffin flies!, a week old fawn with its mother, and some absolutely beautiful country.  I moved to Colorado almost 3 years ago and the Delaware always keeps me coming back.  If you ever have the opportunity to float it, do it.  It's a true challenge, but the rewards are so worth it.

Every day we floated was different, but we did get into fish and my favorite of this trip was this brown.  He was rising in a foam line in the shade and he ate my fly on my first attempt (which also never happens) and it was a battle between man and nature.  I had beads of sweat dripping down my brow into my eyes when I finally landed this fish with the help of my guide.  The hook of my mole fly bent during the fight, but it somehow stuck.  He was a slob and because of his rise (and where he was rising) I knew right away it was a big brown trout.  A great cast is often times not rewarded on the Delaware, but the moment was right and this time, I made it count.


We ate dinner at the same place (Lydia's was the old name) and took in several breakfasts at the old Circle E.  Nothing really changes in Hancock, and there's something comforting about that fact, which keeps me coming back.

Fly fishing is obviously awesome, but just to be IN nature is the most important thing and the reason why I fish.  Until next time, tight lines everyone and remember to enjoy every sunset.





Comments

My photo
Michael Agostinho
I love nature and I vehemently enjoy fly fishing and fly tying. Check out my YouTube channel via the link at the top of the website and check out all of the links below. Tight lines!

Popular posts from this blog

Technical Dry Fly Fishing

Spring Break Trip: Part 2

Spring Break Trip: Part 1