Technical Dry Fly Fishing

Deckers, CO can be a tough place to fish.  Our lack of snowfall this year has left Cheesman Lake lower than normal and so the flows at Deckers have been about half of where they should be.  Now that being said, the BWO's haven't minded one bit.  Like clockwork they have been hatching under cloudy skies and in the bright sunshine.  Unfortunately, the latter has kept the fish extremely skiddish.

I have fished several spots at Deckers the past two Saturdays and the dry fly fishing has been difficult to say the least.  I have seen plenty of fish in extremely shallow water doing the old "grab and go."  It's almost like their stealing something...I prefer that when it's my fly!  

As is so often the case, the most consistent rising fish have also been the most likely to eat an imitation, but last Saturday I really struggled.  It looked like they were eating my fly and then I would set the hook, only to catch air.  I think I was a little quick on the trigger a few times because I could see the fish as well as the take.  Dry fly fishing always gets my heart racing.  Needless to say it was a tough day and I only managed to net one feisty rainbow.

Today I went back on a revenge mission and I just wanted to be outside in the sun.  I fished a spot I have only visited once before because I was looking for some shady areas.  With the low, gin clear flows, the fish are very finicky.  Five minutes after I geared up I happened upon a small pod of fish (rising in the shade) and after two normal casts I somehow put them down.  I knew they were going to be picky and difficult to catch, but this was ridiculous.  My response was to put on more tippet material (6x Trouthunter Nylon Goodness) and head downstream.

I only saw one riser down below that I also put down after only two casts.  I headed back up to where I had started and I saw some fish rising in the shade (again).  This time I went super stealth mode and waded out like a ghost because in order to catch this fish I NEEDED to be invisible.  He was eating BWO's like they were going out of style and after two casts, I nailed him.  My reward was a spotty, beautiful Deckers brown. 


Getting a perfect drift was necessary to hook this gem.  I gave a little glance to the heavens as a "Thank You." Satisfied, (and with no other risers in sight) I hopped in the car and headed to another spot.

When I showed up the only other car in that lot was leaving (YES!) so I quickly got on the water.  Guess what else was there when I arrived...the wind.  I hate wind, I really do.  I have probably cursed more in my life at the wind than anything else.  Seriously, it's the bane of our sport.  I love a gentle summer breeze or burst of fresh air in the fall when the temperatures are just starting to decline as winter approaches, but the wind today was forgettable.  It seemed to come up just at the wrong time, which made the fishing even more difficult.

There were fish rising all over the place, but the fricking wind made it that much more of a challenge.  When the water is this low and clear, perfection is required.  I literally dropped my fly two inches above this gorgeous rainbow (when the wind had just died down) before it pulled a "grab and go" on my imitation.  I'm glad he decided to steal from me!  Netting this fish was a "Take that!" to the fish and a "Take that!" to the wind.  Flipping wind...



I like to tie BWO's with synthetic wing material.  This morning I tied up some size 20's before I headed out and both of the fish I caught were on the same style of fly.  Here's how I like to tie a BWO dry fly:

RECIPE:

Hook: Dai Riki #310 size 18-26 or your preferred dry fly hook for smaller flies
Thread: 6/0 Olive Danville
Tail: Medium dun hackle fibers
Abdomen: BWO dubbing color that represents the naturals in your area (I like Spirit River's Callibaetis color)
Wing: Any gray poly yarn (or something along those lines) that matches the wing color of the naturals
Thorax: Medium dun hackle (A turn or two behind the wing and 2-3 turns in front)

The hackle made a difference with the flotation of the fly today, but I'll pass on a little trick I picked up some years ago.  If you're not getting takes, use your nippers to remove all of the hackle on the underside of the hook and then the fly will sit flush in the surface film.  Today that made the difference for me.

I fished for awhile longer to some extremely picky fish and I hooked into a big brown that only took a perfect drift.  I wish I had a picture to show you, but after coming completely out of the water three times he was able to throw the hook.  This was all unbeknownst to the gentlemen who was fishing downstream so only God and I witnessed this fish take me to the cleaners.  I applauded his efforts, cursed the wind one more time, and then headed home.

Technical dry fly fishing is not for everyone.  Most people I have met in the Colorado only dry fly fish when the conditions are perfect and they mostly nymph the rest of the time.  I'm sure there were some people up on Y Camp Road that caught more fish than I did on nymphs, but there's something about the extreme difficulty and frustration of today that made it even more worthwhile.

In today's society many people prefer what's easiest and rarely challenge themselves.  Why do something that's more difficult if there is an easier way?  If you think like me, you already know the answer to that question.  

A friend of mine told me I'm a glutton for punishment (I mean, who else throws size 20 dry flies into 20 mph wind gusts...) and maybe I am, but there's also something I can't quite explain about days like today.  It was tough.  It was windy.  I was frustrated at times, but in the end I would never trade a day like today for anything other than a chance at another one just like it.  Yes, even with the wind.

I'll leave you with a mug shot of that brown.  With teeth like that, he's gonna get bigger.



Until our next encounter, tight lines my friends.  


Comments

  1. i'm finding that I have to go down to size 26 at Deckers. Been a good summer there so far of course with this 90+ weather everything seems to shut down at 12:30 or 1PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to do the same many times! Tight lines my friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

My photo
Michael Agostinho
I love nature and I vehemently enjoy fly fishing and fly tying. Check out my YouTube channel via the link at the top of the website and check out all of the links below. Tight lines!

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Break Trip: Part 2

Spring Break Trip: Part 1