Spring Has Sprung!

Finally, spring has arrived!  I have been all over Colorado fishing since my last post and I am happy to report that the fish are biting.  There has been some early season runoff as the low level snows are melting away to Spring.  The midge hatches have been strong and the olives are coming off as well.  As the weeks progress the Caddis hatch will also intensify so don't forget to fish some larvae and pupae especially if you see some Caddis adults on the water.

The freestones are clear in the mornings, but on the warm days the water has gotten cloudier before it clears again overnight.  My friend Tim and I had some banner days on the Eagle River fishing all sorts of nymphs and some dry flies as well.  Stoneflies have been working great down deep and some attractors also got us into some nice fish.  Prince nymphs, PT's, Caddis larvae, and midge patterns got us into plenty of browns and some rainbows on the lower Eagle near Gypsum over Spring Break back in March.

I also had a great day on Clear Creek and was able to net a Grand Slam in about 90 minutes!  It was fun to fish a creek again after a long, cold winter.  Most of the fish were in the deeper holes still because the grip of Winter has not yet left the majority of the Rockies.  It was great to hear more birds chirping and I always love watching the American Dippers frolic and splash around in the tailwaters and freestone rivers.  They really are a treat to watch.

I got this gorgeous brown on a JuJu Baetis on the Eagle after an eventful battle:



I also drove to Winter Park and fished the Fraser River in Grand County last week and although it was still snowy up top the river was flowing nicely and the browns were active.  I was able to drum up this beauty on a stonefly nymph.  Note:  He was in a little drop-off just below a fast riffle so fish those riffles too.  The fish are hungry!


My Clear Creek slam was also a memorable one and I'll be heading back there for more beautiful fish sooner rather than later.


I also found this big brown on Clear Creek that put up a suitable battle.  He took an RS II.


Fly fishing is about so much more than fish.  The fresh air, the birds, the bugs, other wildlife, friends, and yes...fish!

One of my favorite fish recently was this meaty rainbow that also took a JuJu Baetis.  Tie some up!


I also got down to Pueblo and fished the tailwater with some friends and caught this beauty on a red midge larvae.  Bloodworms are present in so many rivers and red is often times a great color to use.  I sight fished this rainbow out of a little trough and he ate a juicy little Bloodworm I twisted up on my first drift.


I was also lucky enough to fish with Tim and our friend Kurt on the Eagle.  Kurt came down and slammed them in a short amount of time!  Nice job amigo.


Another great thing about the Eagle is the scenery!  What a beautiful place to fish...


Although I was excited to fish some freestones and Clear Creek again, I did get to Deckers and Elevenmile as well.  The flows are up a bit in both places and I did find some rising fish.  This beautifully spotted fish took a gnat I decided to tie on because for some reason he was refusing the BWO's slowly drifting over his head.  It took me awhile to fool him, so the reward was special.


I photographed these deer on my way back from Deckers.  They were chowing down on some grass and I definitely startled them!


I know this is a post full of pictures, but I took a lot the last several weeks!  This hawk was preening itself high up in a tree and my Nikon did a great job of zooming in on its beauty.


I also found these beautiful wildflowers on a hike with my cousin up above Morrison along Bear Creek.  It was so amazing to see them on the trail.


Finally, onto my newfound fin fetish (thanks Tim F.).  I love catching fish, but often times the beauty is in the details.  Check out of the white tips on this big Pueblo tailwater rainbow:


The fish are biting, but runoff is coming.  This year runoff will be substantial so if you're interested in fishing clear water than get out there sooner rather than later.  That being said, fishing dirty water can lead to some strong takes and epic battles.  Fish those heavy stones with a flashy dropper and enjoy.  Be mindful of flows and don't cross a river if you have that "feeling" that you shouldn't.  Be careful out there and wear your wading belt just in case you do go down.
Thanks for reading and until next time, tight lines my friends!






Comments

My photo
Michael Agostinho
I love nature and I vehemently enjoy fly fishing and fly tying. Check out my YouTube channel via the link at the top of the website and check out all of the links below. Tight lines!

Popular posts from this blog

Technical Dry Fly Fishing

Spring Break Trip: Part 1

Spring Break Trip: Part 2